8 Important Fire Prevention Tips

Home fires are devastating. Be sure you know how to prepare and prevent to the best of your ability.

Did you know that, on average, one house catches fire every single minute?

Some of the most common household fires are a result of cooking, careless smoking, and unattended or dangerously placed candles. Fires are classified based on effective suppression agents. The suppression classes used are:

 

ClassA– fires involving ordinary combustible, such as wood, cloth or paper

ClassB– fires involving flammable liquids, greases, gases, etc.

ClassC– electrical equipment fires

 

Here are a few simple tips for preventing fires in your home…

 

  • Clean house. Don’t let old papers and trash gather in closets, the attic, basement, garage or under basement stairs. If they ignite, flames can spread rapidly. Throw out trash regularly.

 

  • Use things like gasoline, kerosene or other flammable liquids outside only. Never use them in your home or garage. Keep them stored in approved containers in areas away from possible ignition sources such as your furnace and water heater.

 

  • Don’t let rags collect. Keep oily, greasy or paint-smeared rags in closed metal containers until disposed of properly. Do not keep them in the house. This will guard against spontaneous combustion.

 

  • Install smoke alarms in each occupied floor – including the basement-and within 15 feet of each sleeping room, which is the law in some states. Check detectors once a month, and change the battery in battery-powered smoke detectors twice a year or as needed.

 

  • Use flashlights instead of candles. Instruct every member of the family not to use matches or candles to light the way in the attic, closets or basement, even during a power outage, unless absolutely necessary.

 

  • Keep important phone numbers visible. Post your fire department and local emergency numbers near all phones.  Be sure all emergency numbers are included in your cell phone’s contact list as well.

 

  • Keep matches, lighters, and all flammables out of the reach of children.

 

  • Don’t overload circuits. Make sure every room has enough electrical outlets to avoid the need for multiple attachment plugs. Never use more than one high-wattage appliance on a circuit at a time. Use surge protection devices on sensitive electronic equipment.

 

For professional building maintenance and fire restoration services at your home, office, or industrial complex, be sure to call Tuckey Restoration at (717) 524-1198 or www.tuckey.com.

 

***

 

DISCLAIMER:Information presented here is of a general nature that may not be applicable in all situations. Tips, articles, and accompanying information do not represent an official recommendation of the Tuckey Companies.

(Content as seen in the State Farm Insurance guidebook)

(Picture by By Jack Rottier [Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons)

Leave a Comment

  • *

Sign up to receive new posts right from your inbox!