Ask Our Experts: Property Cleanup After Vandalism DamageApril 13, 2014 | 8:32 pm
Question for Our Experts
What are some initial cleaning steps that a property owner or facilities manager can take in the building restoration process after vandalism has occurred? Are there any common mistakes that property owners should avoid when trying to clean-up after vandalism damage?
Our Experts’ Answer
The Short Answer
Vandalism damage takes many forms, each of which requires specialized attention for proper remediation. It is important to refrain from attempting clean-up without knowledgeable assistance, as some inks, paints, or cosmetic stains can be permanently set in if not handled properly. However, certain conditions are best addressed if handled promptly – see below for more details.
The Long Answer
Vandalism often involves spray paint on walls, defacement of furnishings, or spreading noxious substances. it is one of the most difficult forms of damage to restore. Prompt action can often minimize the effect of vandalism or make restoration more successful. The process can be complicated, and the variables are endless, so professional restoration services are often required when dealing with vandalism clean-up. That being said, here are some do’s and don’ts for property owners or facilities managers with regarding clean-up and restoration after vandalism:
- Hose down or wash off damage off building exteriors as soon as possible.
- Vacuum glass particles from carpet and upholstery.
- Save containers and spray cans left behind by the vandals. These can reveal the composition of ink and pigments, allowing restorers to more effectively treat and clean the blighted area.
- Save all wood chips and fragments from furniture, porcelain, or art objects. They could potentially be used to reconstruct the damaged piece.
- Attempt to remove ink, paint, or cosmetic stains without knowledgeable assistance; they can be permanently set if not handled properly.
The Bottom Line
Vandalism damage can have serious consequences on a building. If it occurs on your property, notify police and your insurance company, then call a professional restoration firm like Tuckey Restoration for professional assistance in getting your property back to normal as soon as possible.
Tuckey Restoration, Inc. responds to water, fire, wind, and storm damage emergencies 24/7/365. You can always reach us at (717) 524-1198. We serve all of South Central Pennsylvania, including Chambersburg, Shippensburg, Carlisle, Harrisburg, Lebanon, Gettysburg, Hanover, York, and Lancaster, PA, as well as Perry County. We are the only Disaster Kleenup International (DKI) affiliate serving Perry, Cumberland, and Franklin counties.
Request Vandalism Services
(Picture By Mathias Bigge (Own work) [CC-BY-SA-2.5 (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.5)], via Wikimedia Commons)
All material Copyrighted (c) by the Tuckey Companies, 2022.